When casting about for names, we started by researching common and uncommon nicknames for St. Louis. Common names include Gateway to the West, River City, Mound City, amongst others. We came across “Fourth City” as a nickname used from approximately 1880-1904, when St. Louis was at its zenith. We were the fourth largest city in the country, with intense population and industrial growth. The era culminated with the 1904 World’s Fair and 1904 Olympics.
The name caught our attention for several reasons, but the strongest is that it’s not a common nickname any longer, so this opens a doorway of conversation when we are asked about our name. The history of this time period is one of great pride for St. Louisans, with the cultural and industrial advancements at the time. Also, the name seemed appropriate as we are the fourth incarnation of a House in the city.
Our logo was designed by the wonderful and brilliant Maxi Glamour, a local gender nonconforming drag performer (maxiglamour.com), who we are so thankful to for working with us.
The design is based on the statue “The Apotheosis of St. Louis,” depicting King Louis IX of France, namesake of St. Louis, located in front of the Saint Louis Art Museum. Prior to the completion of the Arch, the statue was the principal symbol of the city, used for St. Louis iconography since it was installed immediately following the World’s Fair.
Of course, we had to put our spin on the image, changing St. Louis to a Saintly Sister, the sword to a fabulous parasol, and who wouldn’t want to ride a unicorn through our very own Glittery Gateway Arch!
The Fourth City Sister formal coronet is based on Hood or Headpiece designs from the Medieval era, particularly of French design. This was decided as an homage to the French heritage of St. Louis and to the time period in which our city’s namesake ruled.
Materials used include: Leather, satin, and wire.